Thursday, October 15, 2020

A Memoir - Next Part

The school bus forgot to pick me up. Again.

_________________________________________________________


They seemed genuine. It took about a month or more to begin to trust my new acquaintances. They were not making fun like the others. This new band of the nerdy kind, sitting at a lonely table. I was accepted. But I didn't fit in. I wore mini-skirts. I was sporty. I watched the cheerleaders, though the thought of becoming one never entered my mind. That was for the special girls. 

__________________________________________________________

The first ever email address was peninsula. That is what I was. Mostly alone and barely connected. My one true friend turned to drugs and left my side. Others followed suit. I was without a home.

_________________________________________________________


I was mostly confused. Why did it matter if a high school boy had a car? Why was everybody working so much? No, all the time. Why "what do you do?" was the first question asked at a party? I couldn't understand why a man would tell me about a private jet his friend owned. I was confused why financial security was a human value alongside kindness and compassion. 

_________________________________________________________

How to act? At a long table full of strangers who seemed to know everything. I looked around mimicking and smiling awkwardly. I was a new kid on a block, brought to the rabbi's house by a new friend. Like fish out of the water, I slowly learned to stay afloat. These were "my" people, except they weren't. Funny, eloquent, intelligent they were while speaking in an unwritten code I couldn't break. I didn't recognize arrogance at the time. No, my husband would not be here, hard as I looked. Sorry, mom.

_________________________________________________________


"You don't care about money, and all the guys who take you out pick you up in BMW's and Audis. All my boyfriends are unemployed," exclaimed my roommate in disbelief. I never considered that angle before.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Dearest Peeps! I welcome your comments, so please feel free to start a conversation :)