Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Death, Some More! Part 2

It seems like sugar is a pre-requisite for good writing. OK.. Just writing. The computer (ie the brain) seems to run at a different pace and on a different plane altogether. The drug of choice, only not a conscious one but a habitual one. 

Good enough for an intro. On to the body of this entry.

As promised.. Let's talk about death a little more. I walk outside approaching a major intersection. I look left. I look right. Just like mamma taught me when I was five years old. No, I was not raised in England. That training has stuck. No danger in sight, and I continue my walk.

This is a rather straight forward and easily understood example of physical survival. I am afraid of being killed. I want my body to continue in this world. In short, I fear physical death.

I walk outside. I make certain no car is approaching. I safely cross the street and continue walking toward my work building. I trip over a threshold. Gosh, so embarrassing! How many witnesses have laughed at this? Must look around and confirm. Maybe even chuckle and come up with some lame excuse. I gotta save face. Can't have me living up to the blonde hair expectation!

This is a typical experience of everyone at one point in this random life. This is also an example of another type of death to be so fervently avoided. The biggest, most impactful, most feared loss. Drum roll, please...Drrrrrrrrrr... The death of my personality (ie ego).

Here we have them: the physical fear and the mental anguish. And then you go car shopping. The savvy salesman builds you up, or rather your personality. Paints a picture of your intelligence exponentially amplifying for driving a brand new convertible. The so-called you expands, balloons into an lifted, puffed out chest with the look of condescendence. You are born again. 

That is until you trip over that threshold on the way out.

Hello! It is this fear of losing a non-tangible personality, a creation that has been forming year after year after year that is causing the crises within, not to mention the conflicts outside the individual. Yes, there is this unwanting to lose the body. Even more powerful is the anxiety of feeling smaller than the grain of sand. The insignificance factor. I am nothing, of no consequence. 

We have passed the climax of the story and are heading toward the conclusion. Here you have it: 

Except that when I am nothing, I have nothing more to fear. And now, I can become everything. 

Seems like a fight worth losing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dearest Peeps! I welcome your comments, so please feel free to start a conversation :)