Saturday, August 4, 2012

The Two A's

It was so intruiging to me that I actually looked it up. The question hovering over my head was whether or not the words Addiction and Attachment had the same root. What I thought was a brilliant electrical connection in my brain turned out to be nothing. Not only do the two words have different roots, they also come from different languages. There goes that idea, which I, so appropriately, need to dis-attach from. Despite the unsupported hypothesis, I can't help but experience the two concepts as very much walking together down a bumpy road. Once attached to a thing, person, or place, I am somehow blinded, obsessed, well, addicted to that particular object and/or subject. Flipping the formula around, if addicted, then, definitely, attached to the one thing that gives me a powerful experience. Hope this is all making sense so far. I think there is a valid point here. Maybe the dictionary people didn't do their due diligence. Maybe I need to spend some time in heavy duty research, which by itself proves how my attachment to a made-up idea leads to an addiction. And so, here it is. I have reached the crux of the point. Our self- or otherwise-created ideas are nothing but attachments. They guide our thoughts and emotions, and, ultimately, behaviors. We are fueled by all these addictions, be they of the mind, emotion, or body. And the reset button? Wait, do I mean to imply that there is an actual button that was turned on somehow, setting me in motion, not unlike the "ON" button on my computer? Then what software program is being run? Do I have a choice of Mozilla or Explorer, or may I have permission from the Overseer to write my own? I certainly don't feel like remaining in my Addiction and Attachment operating systems. I find them....hmmm...uninspiring and choice-less. And, as a very intelligent man once said,: "Give me Liberty, or Give Me Death." I say, let's raise our toasts to life! L'Chaim!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dearest Peeps! I welcome your comments, so please feel free to start a conversation :)