Tuesday, October 2, 2012

In Uncertainty

It was obvious that a hand tool was used. It was also obvious that the engraving was done by a skilled hand. The lettering was perfectly sized, spaced, shaped. Like a well-structured poem. The rock was big, and the inscription was just so, whereby it was noticeable but not staring directly at you. "Love Life." I looked at it, trying to grasp its full message, to feel the message... I don't know... Become inspired by the message. Whatever it was, I was left unimpressed, to make an understated comment. There was something in me that resisted it. As if the idea was good, the intention was noble, and yet the truth hasn't been spoken. 

I returned to the place. I looked at the carving. I surveyed the scenery. I joked around with the fellow human beings. I looked at the carving. I looked at the carving. Yes, I looked at the carving. I brushed my wet thighs and arms with my wet hands, looked down in uncertainty, and courageously said: "I think I would want to change the wording." Out of seemingly nowhere the words came. I love what I don't have. If I say I love my car, it's because it gives me something I lacked before. If I say I love my job, it's because it gives me something I was missing before. If I say I love my partner, it's because I now have what I didn't have before. Fundamentally, I love that which I want to have or experience or be.  Thus, it seems to follow that I love that which makes me feel alive, because without it, I am only half-so. And yet! And yet! I love life when, for a reason unbeknownst to me, I simply feel a-live. In that moment, I don't love life, I am in love with life. I am bursting with my inner life, and, in that instant, I declare to all the surrounding trees and blades of grass that I love life! When I am a-live, I love life. When I am a life, I love life. When I am life, I already am all that I search for. 

I looked up at the faces of my fellow being friends, sitting in the same pool of water with me, looking at the same rock and inscription, and, without missing a beat, I said: "Instead of 'Love Life,' I would say 'Be Life.'"

And that seems like a more complete picture to me. Even if just only to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dearest Peeps! I welcome your comments, so please feel free to start a conversation :)