Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Vision vs. Goal

It has been my experience and my observation that there is a certain quality and a certain type of action that come out of how we choose to walk along the path of life. More specifically, how we choose to move toward something. Words are important. They are one expression of our internal state. They are also full of unspoken energy that is beyond the sounds of letters and syllables. 

If I think of reaching a specific goal, I immediately put a task in front of myself that is to be worked on. I feel the burden of getting "there" and grabbing it. My goal is now my target and I am to move toward it diligently with an acute focus and dedication. The pressure to succeed has been given a powerful voice. In short, I now have a job. 

If I think of creating a vision, I immediately feel inspired and energized. I think about how wonderful it would be to be this vision. There is a lightness about the road and any action that I might and do take. It's a joyful, fun, and in-the-present type of activity that I perform. In short, I play. 

And while both roads will get me to where I am going, I choose the latter. Not because it's a more enjoyable experience, but because it is sustainable. I am able to do out of joy almost continuously. I am capable of working for a set amount of time. 

Children's play is their work. Because they are not in a pursuit of anything. They simply enjoy things they like. Eventually, they may and do become proficient at their activity of joy. Many adults seldom play, losing that ability to the daily hunt of reaching the end of the line. Suddenly, it's an uphill road to a destination that should have been our liberation but became our ball and chain. 

A vision with no deadline.
An action with no expectation.
An experience within the moment of time.
A joyful life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dearest Peeps! I welcome your comments, so please feel free to start a conversation :)