Monday, September 12, 2011

Windows and Mirrors

A mirror is a reflection of who you are. Who you are being the important aspect of that sentence. Who you are. When I look at myself in the mirror, whom do I see? I see a face composed of two eyes, a nose, a mouth, two eyebrows, two cheekbones, two nostrils, a few wrinkles. Pretty standard. The mirror is showing me my own reflection. Well, who is that me looking at me? Is what's reflected back to me really me? And am I seeing the reflection I am supposed to be seeing? Maybe I am distracted by the physical face to see that which is more subtle and yet more significant, more powerful, more telling, and more interesting? Maybe. And maybe, the mirror is not the best reflector. Pause for silence and reflection, no pun intended. If this were a staged play, the previous sentence would have served as cue for the relationship persona to enter stage.

Relationships.

I've got one thing to say, and it is not "Shante!" It is "Yikes!!!!" Those living and breathing creatures that entangle and bind us, that feed us and nourish us, that break us and make us appear to be the true reflectors of who we are. Enter a relationship, and you're in deep. You're in deep and don't even know the depth of your condition. They say the eyes are the windows to your soul. One look at the one you're so connected with, one real, hard, and long look into the eyes of your beloved, you see him/her and...... yourself.  One eventful situation, and your actions are a reflection of who you are. One word in a tough situation, and your fears and insecurities are exposed.

I may have found my true mirror, and it ain't pretty. "Hey! Maybe I need to change my mirror! This one's not showing me what I want to see!" I had that armor working for a long time. It's been used and abused. I think it's rather deflated now, currently taking a long vacation. And I mean, a looooong vacation. There is a chance, however, that what I see really is pretty. It's just not what others may find as pretty. Ooh ooh, I know! That ugly really is the very subtle un-requiring of attention. It is this veiled beauty that provides the all-important guide to where I need to go, showing me the way to freedom to acceptance and to love.

Relationships. I thank thee for your assistance. I thank my beloved's eyes. I thank me for lifting up the rug in search for the mystical.

A relationship is a reflection of who you are. Now, that's much better.

1 comment:

  1. Is a relationship a reflection of what you are yet to become?

    ReplyDelete

Dearest Peeps! I welcome your comments, so please feel free to start a conversation :)